Saturday, October 15, 2011

Field Trip + Zumba!!


 Yesterday I co-chaperoned a field trip to Fort Bragg with the Venturing Girls group.  This is a group that my co-worker Mitzi leads.  It was started by the AmeriCorps worker last year and is like a girls version of Boy Scouts, but not quite.  They meet a few times a month and plan fun day trips like the one yesterday. 
  We first went to MacKerricher State Park and walked around to look at the tide pools, however the tide pools weren't really there since the tide was in.  None the less, it was beautiful!  On the way back to the van we came across two men who had just come in from catching Abalone, they look like ginormous slugs!! Gross.  But the girls were fascinated by them. 
Mitzi, the girls and Zach (mitzis' son)

  After that we went and got lunch, then headed off to the water park. Mitzi and the girls and Zach (Mitzis' son) played around in the water, while I took advantage of the gym!  I then talked Mitzi into taking a Zumba class with me.  She was hesitant at first, but she also used to be a dancer and I knew that this would be a form of exercise that she would actually enjoy.  She is quite out of shape, self proclaimed mind you, but she kept with it, I was quite proud of her.  Afterwards she was just beaming!! The rest of the ride home she couldn't stop reminiscing about her old dancing days, and we both were talking about our favorite musicals.  I was so happy that I convinced her to take a class because she was like a different person afterwards, totally into it!  She even said that she'd be willing to take the one Zumba class that is held here at the high school once a week with me!  Woohoo!!
  The trip was a great trip.  I got to know the girls and they all said that they really wanted me to come into the health class to do some smoothie demonstrations and talk about nutrition.  I need to get that squared away with the health teacher on when I can do it, but super excited about that!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, abalone is great to eat! (I know, not for you, but for fish eaters) You pound it flat so that it is very thin and fry it in butter with garlic and lemon. Extremely tasty!! I used to order it in S.F. restaurants. It was one of my favorite items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we will have to take an excursion to get you some Abalone when you visit!

    ReplyDelete