Saturday, September 3, 2011

First Week




   I have now had my first full week.  Although to be honest it wasn't quite full... I had lots of meetings but that was about it.  I can't wait to get totally into it all!  I'm needing to keep myself busy so I don't get bored.
  I have to say I have found it so incredibly bizarre to be back in schools only this time I'm meeting with teachers and the principle like a grown up!  Very strange feeling for me....

   So two days a week I will be working in the Anderson Valley Clinic doing a bit of this and that (TBD) then on Wednesdays at noon I will be teaching (along with another woman, Mitzy) a nutrition class to the women of the community.  Mitzy and I did a lesson plan and this month the topic is going to be health benefits of Apples along with dangers of processed foods.
   Then once a week I'll be doing a health fitness class with kids and teenagers, 2 classes split into various age groups.  I believe i'll even be teaching Tennis!! I've never played but Donna, my supervisor, seems to have lots of faith in me that I can do this with them haha

   There are more things to be brewing up soon, in fact I went out with my friend Nate last night and we got to talking about what we want to do in life.  He had started a non profit farm out in Willits but got totally burned out by it all which is how he ended up here.  He also had started a bakery in Berkley.  In any case, he loves to cook and work with kids so I said "hey maybe I could bring you in once a week for a cooking class!! and this could incorporate foods picked from the school garden!"  He was very excited about this idea so I am going to talk to Donna about it.  I have no doubt that she will be thrilled by this idea.

   Oh and I will also be doing a mental health program with little kids teaching them about anger management and how to deal with bullies etc... So lots to do! I am ready to get started!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment